Here is a little project I have been working on this week. The plan, and I do use the word "plan" in a very hopeful sense, is that once this is quilted and washed, the edges will form that nice "used and loved" look.
When digitizing the roses for these blocks, I also added a cutting line to give the shape of the block. Once the rose design was sewn out, the outside edge was then used as the cutting line to give the final block size.
Each piece was sewn using two layers of the same fabric. Once each section was finished, the pieces were trimmed back, leaving a good 1/4 inch plus allowance, which should fray on washing. Some fabrics do not fray well, so do as I say, not as I do, and do a sample first!
Using the duck bill scissors is a great way of making sure you don't cut through the layers underneath.
And here she is, pinned to the design wall.
The pink and green fabrics are from my stash of hand dyes that have been around for some time. I always hate cutting into them because they always look so pretty in a complete set of rainbow colours, but truly, it just gives me an excuse to get back into the laundry and do another round of pretty colours. Because I didn't have enough of the pink to do a small sashing, I opted instead to do a narrow piping instead. Notice I did my mitred corners (see here Never Fail Mitred Corner)
I now just have to decide how to quilt and what colour thread, although I am leaning towards the bright pink.
Bye for now. Sue xxx