The cushions from the last post, in position. We will ignore the wrinkles in the fabric and we will all agree that white is a stupid colour when you have a large hairy dog who sheds like nothing I have seen before, and a teenager who thought he was going to get away with eating spaghetti bolognese on his lap after a hard day of putting a truck load of Ikea furniture together. But, there is always a but.....they can be washed and I did buy a second set (the white ones where the cheapest of the sets) and the master plan is to one day pull one of the sets apart and make my own covers (or Ikea will decide that Teal would be a perfect colour to add to their range). Anyway, the cushions look good.
here, this is tame!
When the folks downsized, I took their old dining table and chairs. The chairs had never been comfortable and it would have taken so much time to paint and re-upholster them. I sent them off to the Opportunity Shop (thrift store), and bought these white ones from Ikea. The table was originally dark brown. I gave it a few coats of undercoat to "kill" the brown and then painted it a very striking shade of blue. Comments were past that it was a bit bright, but again I suggested that "they" wait and see the final colour. So once the blue dried I got too work with the sander to distress the table, and then gave it a couple of coats of whitewash. The table top has about 6 coats of satin varnish. Now I just need some cushions for the chairs.Artwork for the walls is non existent. This piece of fishy art was created using a pre-primed canvas, paper clay for the heavy outlines and texture past to add texture for the water and to blend the paper clay with the canvas - sort of like using no more gaps. I had planned to try using one of those two part epoxy resins for added gloss, but decided it all looked too hard with limited time so used a "Jo Sonja" gloss finish. It gave a lovely surface. I will have a play with the resin stuff when I have a bit more time.
When we first got O'Reilly, we had this cane furniture that was in serious need of paint or a refreshing coat of varnish. My next door neighbour made all of this cane furniture. After sitting in his car port for a couple of years, he put it out for the hard rubbish collection and I dragged it back in to my place. This particular style of chair has a mechanism that lets you rock and swivel - perfect for a window with a view or to sit and read a book. I have two of these chairs and another one that is a standard cane chair made in the same style. O'Reilly has systematically eaten all of the cushions bar one - this was the one I had to pull apart to make a pattern for the chair cushion; for the footstool I just had to wing it as I went along. The cane was repaired using "Google" and as I am not in possession of a spray gun or booth, I had to hand paint the cane - what a pain in the back, neck and shoulders that is - it took hours, but the end result was well worth it.
(My husband liked the zebra blanket so much, he thought "his" chair could be done in the same fabric - so for once I obliged!).
Well that's about it from me at the moment - my local quilting group has finished its "face challenge" and now the mini quilts are on display at our local cafe. I must now remember to take a photo of the finished "Queen of Over Embellishment".
Bye for now. Sue xxx